Thursday, January 5, 2012

Deloitte: 9% have cut cable, another 11% are considering it

Deloitte: 9% have cut cable, another 11% are considering it

We cut the cable at home a couple years, and haven't looked back. I can't say that I've never missed cable -- ESPN would be very nice, particularly during the football playoffs/bowl season. But that's just the thing: I have never missed cable TV and the 99% of stations that never had anything worth watching. I miss channels. ESPN. HBO. Showtime. I'd happily pay for those, I just can't justify paying for all the crap that goes with it.

This is how you disrupt television: give consumers direct access to stations. In a nutshell, make an ESPN app and put it up for sale in iTunes and the Android Marketplace. Give me the opportunity to pay to watch the television that I love. I'd be on that like white on rice. If Apple -- or anyone -- wants to reinvent the television, that's all they need to do; the rest falls into place behind it.